Any medicine, either over-the-counter (or) prescription drug has its own side effects. The downside effects of the medicine depend on age, health, weight and other medical conditions. Likewise, anabolic androgenic steroids have their own pros and cons. Besides performance enhancements, such AAS are used to treat various medical conditions. Actually, the anabolic drug will never be recommended by any physician for performance enhancement. Still, they are popular in the bodybuilding field.
Generally, steroids are classified into anabolic androgenic and Corticosteroids. Corticosteroids are occurring naturally from the adrenal cortex of the adrenal gland, which is above the kidney.
- Aldosterone, a mineralocorticosteroid is produced in the adrenal cortex controls the sodium absorption and potassium excretion.
- Cortisol, a glucocorticoid maintains the carbohydrate reservation in the body
- Androgens, estrogens, and progestins hormones are responsible for influencing secondary sexual characteristics in males or females.
The synthetic anabolic androgenic version is prescribed to the patients who are lacking in growth, strength. AAS are primarily recommended by the doctors to increase the testosterone level in order to treat Hypogonadism, delayed puberty and certain types of cancer. There are numerous pros and cons of taking steroids, whether it may be for a medical and nonmedical purpose. Let us discuss them here.
Pros and cons of AAS in bodybuilding
- Provides more oxygen to muscle and increases muscle mass
- Makes athletes bulk in a bulking cycle and lose weight in cutting cycle
- Improves performance and muscular strength
- Increases strength, agility
- Users are exposed to greater risks of Hepatitis B & C
- Increased risk of tearing of tendons
- Induces more aggressiveness
- Steroids damage veins
- Resulting enlarged breast in men, increased facial hair in women
- Many people are affected by liver cancer, organ damage, hormonal changes, including infertility and psychological changes
- People who use steroids will be arrested for illegal usage
- Water retention
- Muscular cramp
- Reduced sex drive
- Decreased testicular size
- Irreversible clitoral enlargement in women
- Increased risk of endometrial and cervical cancer
- Uterine atrophy
Steroids cause many major and long term problems as:
- Insomnia and paranoia
- Joint aches
- Nausea and vomiting
- Cardiac problem
- Suspected HIV/AIDS due to the needles if shared
- Increased blood pressure
- Hair loss, balding
Pros and Cons of Medical steroids:
Prednisone is a glucocorticoid used to treat various medical conditions such as arthritis, inflammation, blood disorders and immune system disorders. The steroid makes a response to stress. It is used to treat multiple sclerosis.
Cortisone is prescribed by the physician to shield you from allergic reactions, ulcerative colitis, psoriasis, acne, some cancers, lupus and eye conditions.
Perspiration, Dizziness, Headache, Insomnia, Acne, dry skin, rapid weight gain, bloody stools, severe depression, shortness of breath, increased appetite, Heart burning, extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, edema and elevated blood pressure.
We have seen the pros and cons of taking steroids, both medical and non-medical. The medical steroids negative side effects may be discussed with your physician and accordingly, the dose can be adjusted based on the severity. Non-medical steroids (AAS), if purchased without a proper advice/doctor prescription, then the negative side effects should be monitored carefully.